This is a fast paced 15 day itinerary for Switzerland and a few days in the south of Germany.
Day 1- The Rhine Falls - Stein am Rhein 106 km
Landhotel Wilder Mann - Wonderful modern hotel with a beautiful sauna.
Stein am Rhein
The tiny town of Stein am Rhein stretches directly on the border with Germany, in the canton of Schaffhausen. In February 1945, Stein suffered from American bombers, who "overshooted" a little past enemy Germany. Later, the city's appearance was completely restored and went down in history as an example of "exemplary restoration." In fact, the historical center of Stein length of only 500 meters is a series of Painted houses, as if descended from the pages of German fairy tales. Here, each facade is a work of art with an original story and history. Closely connected with the history of Stein also the ancient monastery of St. George of the XI century. From the center to monastery, only a few minutes walk.
The entire old town of Stein am Rhein is a one big landmark. You can endlessly consider the details of the murals of houses, find the next details of the decoration and just enjoy the fabulous atmosphere.
Klostermuseum St. Georgen (abbey)
Burg Hohenklingen (castle) - watch from afar
The Rhine Falls
Along with the Alpine scenery, the Rhine Falls is one of the main attractions of Switzerland. Between the Lake Constance and Basel, among the agricultural lands, small ancient settlements and vineyard-covered slopes the river Rhine flows quietly. And only in one place the water falls swiftly down the precipice with a height of 23 meters, forming the Rhine Falls, the largest in Europe.
Its width reaches 150 meters. At first glance, there is nothing unusual in this waterfall. But in the summer the Rhine stream gains enormous strength and turns into a continuous water cloud with small cute rainbows. You can admire this spectacle from three observation platforms, but it's best to swim on a small boat to one of the islets in the center of the waterfall. They are located both on the northern (from Neuhausen) and on the south (from the side of the castle Laufen) on the banks of the Rhine. To visit the heart of the roaring water masses is an incomparable feeling!
Day 2 - Ulldingen-Mühlhofen-Lindau-Mainau 281km. 4h. 31 min.
Landhotel Wilder Mann - Wonderful modern hotel with a beautiful sauna.
Archaeological Museum on stilts (Pfahlbauten museum) - Uhldingen-Mühlhofen
Archaeological Museum. An attempt to reproduce a prehistoric village on a lake that is about two thousand years old
Lindau Lindau (walk 4.3 km)
Lindau is located on the east coast of Lake Constance near the crossing of the borders of three states - Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The historic center of the city was the eponymous island on the lake.
Various villas and mansions in the mainland (Schachen Palace, Villa Lindenhof, Hoyerberg- and Gruber palaces, Leuchtenberg villa, Holdereggen castle, Senftenau castle, Tuscan park with villa (now the city administration here), Montfort palace.
The port with the New Beacon and the Bavarian Lion, as well as the tower Mangturm (Old Lighthouse).
Port complex Lindau was built in the middle of the XIX century, but is still considered the most beautiful on Lake Constance. On one side of the entrance to the harbor stands proudly the symbol of the city Bavarian lion - a six-meter statue of the sculptor Johan von Halbing. On the other hand - two nearby lighthouses: the old (Mangturm tower), built in the XIII century, and a new lighthouse 33 meters high. It offers a magnificent view of Lake Constance and the tops of the Alps.
Leo flaunts not only on the coat of arms of Bavaria and on many ancestral arms, but also on beer labels. Lindau is the only Bavarian city on Lake Constance, than, of course, the Bavarians are unspeakably proud.
Mangenturm (Mangenturm) - according to the inscription next to the door - belongs to the oldest lighthouses on Lake Constance. The five-storey tower (without an attic) has a square cross-sectional shape. With a height of 20 m, the Tower surpasses some bell towers in height. From 1180 to 1300 the tower was in operation, at the same time Magenturm - was the end point of the city wall.
Today the old lighthouse is located in the promenade zone, but in the 19th century it could only be reached via a bridge or by boat.
The former "Church of the Bums" (Barfusserkirche),
Since 1951 the city theater.
The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Mary (Münster Unserer Lieben Frau, Stiftsplatz, 88131 Lindau (Bodensee), Germany
The former church of the Ascension of the Virgin, the ceiling painting in the Baroque style and the majestic decoration in red and gold tones.
One of the most significant historical sights of Lindau is the Church of St. Mary on the market square in the eastern part of the island, founded in 810. The interior of the church is decorated in red and gold colors, its walls are decorated with paintings of masters of the Baroque period. In 1987, part of the ceiling collapsed here, but eventually it was completely restored.
City Museum (House of Kavatsen) - Haus zum Cavazzen
After the city fire in 1730 was restored under the supervision of the architect Gruberman from Toifen, and, according to the art historian Dehio, was the most beautiful burgher house on Lake Constance. Since 1929 in this Baroque building there is a city museum with an extensive collection of furniture, silver, ceramics, historical toys, as well as paintings and sculptures, and mechanical musical instruments. Attention also deserves a painting on the facade of the house.
Old Town Hall (Salzgasse 2).
The old town hall, built in 1422 and in accordance with the style of the Renaissance completely rebuilt in 1576, attracts attention with its external wooden staircase and painted facade, which presents paintings depicting the history of Lindau. Next to it is a new town hall, from the roof of which, at 11.45, there is a bell ringing.
Both inside and outside the Town Hall is decorated with paintings on biblical and historical motifs.
With the so-called "Bread House" (Brotlaube) and numerous historic buildings.
Church of St. Stephen
The Church of St. Peter (Peterskirche, aka the Church of the Fishermen), was built in the 8th century - the oldest in Lindau. The frescoes of Khans Holbajn the Elder (1480) and Mathis Miller have survived on the north wall.
Diebsturm (Thieves Tower),
Around 1370 was built as the most western point of the old city fortification. In the Middle Ages, there was a city prison here.
Mainau is a fabulous private island located on the border of three states (Germany, Switzerland and Austria), in the heart of the glacier lake - one of the popular tours and excursions in Germany.
Mainau is a private domain, belongs to the Count's couple of Bernadotte. Who live in their residence all year round.
This aristocratic family itself is the attraction and decoration of the island. The count personally makes rounds of his possessions daily. Also the Countess is fond of the design of straw hats and very successfully sells them in his gallery. The history of the island and the aristocratic family have been weirdly intertwined. To listen to it is very interesting from the point of view of both the architect, botanist, and ordinary philistine.
On the island, in addition to a vast landscape park, there is a baroque palace (the former residence of the German Order), greenhouses, numerous gardens with tropical and subtropical plants.
Butterfly Garden on the Mainau Island
In the blossoming Mainau park there is the Butterfly Pavilion. The present tropics with waterfalls and exotic flowers, a constant air temperature of 26 °, and air humidity is 80-90%.
This is a huge glass greenhouse with an area of more than 1000 sq.m. , Which completely recreates the climate of humid subtropics, with its exotic flowers and plants. At the same time, 700-1000 exotic butterflies of different size and color are paraded in the greenhouse.
In total, the house has 80 species of butterflies from South America and Costa Rica. The content of such a number of exotic fluttering occupation is not cheap. Suffice it to say that the purchase and transportation of 400 pupae of rare butterflies cost about 200,000 euros!
Castle on an island of flowers
On the island of flowers is a beautiful baroque castle belonging to the family of Bernadotte. The castle was built in 1746. The "White Hall" of the castle is open to the general public, concerts and other official events take place here.
Next to the castle is the functioning church of St. Mary, built in 1732. In the center of the small hall of the church is a semicircular altar, and the side walls adorn long arched windows. The church is decorated with beautiful frescoes, sculptures and paintings. Today there are festive concerts and weddings. There is a sculpture of the black Madonna, a rather rare phenomenon in the church life
Day 3 - Hinterzarten (Hinterzarten) - Graffenhausen 99 km.
Hinterzarten (small town), a five-minute drive from Lake Titisee, attracts tourists not only with its good location, but also with beautiful views. In the town itself is a wonderful hiking route Evernius Flechtel, which is suitable for the whole family. An easier route is indicated in red, it can be traversed even with a stroller. The blue route is longer and more beautiful, leading through the forest to a small beautiful lake.
Nearby is another picturesque walking route along the Ravennaschlucht stream. The road begins under a huge railway bridge, and winds, over wooden decks and bridges, past waterfalls and an old chapel. Address: Hollsteig 76, 79874 Breitnau. The route is not circular, coming to the end point of the cafe - the restaurant "Haus Ketterer", return the same way.
Wooden sculpture park (Naturpfad)
- walk in the forest. Easy walking route leads from the parking lot to the small lake Schluchtsee. Along the trail are placed wooden figures that fit organically into the surrounding landscape. The park is next to the Husli Museum. The entrance is free.
The Husli Museum.
The museum is not large, it is a dwelling house with all utensils. The house served as a summer resting place for opera singer Helen Siegfried and gives a good idea of the life of the Black Forest residents in the last century. Thanks to the fully preserved interior, it feels like the hosts are still living here, and for a short time were away on business.
Day 4 - St. Gallen / St. Gallen (Eggingen) 210 km
St. Gallen - Walk (2 km)
St. Gallen is a charming city, closed from traffic (the old city), in eastern Switzerland, located just between Lake Constance and Appenzellerland.
St. Gallen is the capital of Eastern Switzerland and the canton of the same name. It is one of the highest cities in Switzerland (it is located at an altitude of about 700 meters above sea level). The city itself is quite large by the standards of Switzerland - here live more than 70 thousand people.
The monastery of St. Gallus and the monastery library (Abbey Library (Stiftsbibliothek))
According to historical documents, the first Benedictine monastery appeared on this very place in the 8th century, 747 AD. The monastery was founded by a monk-hermit - Saint Gall. In the monastery was collected the richest library, an art school was founded, and the best singers taught the technique of Gregorian singing of monks. More than 1000 years the monastery was one of the most influential in Europe, at the level of Notre Dame Cathedral.
However, that baroque cathedral, which now rises on the territory of the abbey, was founded much later - in the period from 1755 to 1767. From the former version, only the eastern crypt was preserved, where, according to legend, the first founder of the temple, the Irish monk Saint Gull, was buried.
Of particular interest are the halls themselves, where innumerable shelves with books are located. They are executed in the best traditions of rococo - with an abundance of gilding and frescoes. The interiors are carefully guarded, so at the entrance you will be asked to put on special soft slippers, hide the camera and observe
- the success of St. Gallen in the field of the textile industry reflected on the facades of houses in the abundance of painted balcony-bay windows. Especially a lot of them on Gallusplatz, Spisergasse, Schmiedgasse and Kugelgasse. You can order a tour of the city in the tourist office, where you will be told many interesting details.
The Gate of Charles -
These gates were built in 1570 and were part of the city defensive wall. According to legend, the first person to pass through the gate was Saint Carlo Borromeo. In honor of him they were called.
High above the gate is an elegant bas-relief with the image of a crucifix. Under it, between the columns are depicted the St. Gull and the abbot Otmar.
"City lounge." This pedestrian area is built by the project Pipilotti Rist and Carlos Martinez and is a paved area with a special red coating near the bank Raiffeisenbanken. Red color, streamlined forms of benches, merging with the ground, and white balls hovering over the square, create a completely surreal picture in the spirit of Salvador Dali.
In good sunny weather, it is worthwhile to climb the cable car to the top of the mountain Santis, to admire the surroundings. From the observation platform you can see the borders of the neighboring five countries - if you are lucky with the weather.
Day 5 - Solothurn - Lausanne (252km)
Solothurn - on the way to Lausanne
Unnecessarily forgotten by tourists. To some extent, this is an unusually luxurious town for Switzerland, famous for its Baroque architecture and one of the largest in Europe museum of weapons. It is located in the north-west of Switzerland, near the Jura Mountains. Having made a hiking tour to the mountains you can visit the Swiss version of the Grand Canyon.
It is believed that this is the most beautiful Baroque city in Switzerland.
Due to beautiful historical monuments, aristocratic mansions and powerful fortifications, the Old Town closed to motor transport is a great place for walking, with a large number of shops and small hotels. On warm summer evenings, it is very pleasant to sit in the garden, in one of the bars or restaurants on the shore of Aare.
Reality from the mysterious world of antiquity is separated by the beautiful Baseltor gate. Behind them is the Old Town Altstadt, dead in time. He remained a city of medieval knights. Here, every street, every building, stores the imprint of a rich past with historical events. Cathedral, Town Hall, Fortress, Castle - each of them has its own story.
The Cathedral of Ursus (St-Ursen-Kathedrale)
The main attraction of the city is the massive cathedral of St. Ursus (St-Ursen-Kathedrale, St. Ursus, 1762-1773). Built with the distinct influence of the Italian style from the local gray-white stone, it seems to float above the main street of Hauptgasse. And its green tower, towering at 62 meters, is crowned with a gilded inscription in Latin, describing the deeds of the heavenly patron of Solothurn - Saint Ursus, who refused to worship the Roman gods and was executed for it. And the bright interior of the work of Francesco Pozzi and Domenico Corvi with its beautiful frescoes is one of the best examples of late Baroque in the country.
Old Town (Altstadt)
Along the river, through the entire old town, the main street passes- Hauptgasse . Along it are major attractions, including the Cathedral of St. Ursena, the clock tower, Arsenal. There will also be an abundance of restaurants and shops of all kinds
Also within the Old Town is the Zeitglockenturm Clock Tower (XII century oldest building of the city), fragments of old fortifications with well-preserved towers Basel and Bienne (both XIV-XVI centuries), castle Froburg (Frobur), ruins of the fortress Sali -Shossley and the Cistercian abbey of St. Urbain in the Arborg area, the Jesuit church (Jesuitenkirche, 1680-1689), the church of St. Mary and St. Peter in the Shonenwerd area, the Museum of the old arsenal (1609-1614) with its ancient collection of weapons and armor in Europe, Basel Gate (Baseltor), Town Hall (Rathaus, XV in) -
The Fountain of Justice is slightly west of the clock tower. The fountain was made in 1561. The sculling group causes a grin: Justice in the form of a strong woman with a blindfold, holding a sword in the air (in the right hand the sword, in the left, the weighed-scales), and the four most important figures of Europe of that time sit at her feet. Holy Roman Empire, in white and red clothes, at the right foot of Justice, then, counter-clockwise: Roman Pope, Turkish sultan and ... Mayor of Solothurn.
Watches with animated historical scenes show a mini-performance every hour from 9 to 19 daily.
Lausanne is one of the most beautiful Swiss cities where history gets along with modernity. High towers and Gothic cathedrals, high-speed metro and quiet streets of the old center make it a real city of contrasts.
Perhaps the most important attraction of Lausanne can be considered Lake Geneva - one of the most beautiful lakes in Europe. It flows into two rivers - the Flon and the Louvre, which, with the development of engineering, were lowered to the ground. However, thanks to the fact that the city used to be located on two rivers, the streets of Lausanne sometimes change their direction unexpectedly.
The embankment of Lausanne Ouchy
In Lausanne, sights usually begin to be viewed from the waterfront of Ouchy - one of the most beautiful places in the city. Along the whole coast grow tall chestnuts, in the shade of which it is so nice to relax on a hot summer day. At the water itself stands the majestic Chateau d'Ouchy, which was built in the 12th century by the appointed bishop of Lausanne. Today there is a hotel in the building.
If you walk along the embankment in the opposite direction from the castle, you can see the Olympic Museum from the famous sights in Lausanne, as it was in this city that the same-named Committee was first convened in 1915. It should be noted that since 1993, when the Olympic Museum in Lausanne for the first time opened the doors for visitors, it was possible to collect a rich collection of artifacts related to sports since the days of Ancient Greece.
Place de la Palud
Situated in the heart of the old town, the paved Place de la Palud is an excellent place to observe the daily life of Lausanne. Cascades of streets with fashionable shops run to the square from all sides, many cafes and the beautiful fountain of La Justis are always surrounded by walking, and on Wednesdays and Saturdays there are open small markets. The dominating over the south side of the square the arcade of the town hall was built in 1675 on the site of the covered market of the XIV century.
Day 6 - Montreux - Vevey - Lausanne 101 km.
Chillon Castle Château-de-Chillon
The castle, in which the first guides were prison guards. It was they, from boredom and by inspiration, told Lord Byron the truth and fables about the torments of Bonivar and his brothers.
The appearance of the castle has not changed since the middle of the 13th century.
In translation from Celtic chillond means "stone platform" - Chillon Castle is located on the scarcely rising above the surface of Lake Geneva rock 10 meters from the shore, with which it connects the bridge. The rocky island between the lake and the steeply rising mountains was inhabited in prehistoric times.
Montreux (walk along the waterfront)
Once Montreux was a miniature fishing village, where the winemakers also lived. But since the 19th century, fate has prepared Montreux a different path - the town turns into one of the largest resorts in Europe. Here come aristocrats and bohemians, artists and writers from many countries to pass the popular in those days "grapevine" treatment. In 1904, the Montreux Palace hotel was opened in Montreux, which still remains not only a landmark of the city, an important part of its history, but also one of the most popular hotels on the shores of Lake Geneva.
A long promenade bordered by flowers connects Vevey and Montreux, and, following to the castle of Chillon, literally invites to a walk.
The second most famous city of the Swiss Riviera is Vevey, a little more pacified and less pompous than Montreux. With many magnificent museums, a long promenade and a cozy old town. Vevey was once a favorite place of the Russian aristocracy, as now resembles a small Orthodox church of St. Barbara near the station. Among the famous residents of the city is Charlie Chaplin, whose monument is set on the Vevey embankment, in a garden named after him.
Option - chocolate factory Cailler
On the outskirts of the Broc area, you can find the Cailler chocolate factory with an excellent museum. This company, founded in 1898, is the only producer of Nestle's Cailler chocolate, named after one of the pioneers of creating this delicacy of the XIX century. Here you can make an organized tour of the factory with a small theatrical performance "about life, love and chocolate in a small Swiss city", visit the tasting room with all the relying procedures in this case, as well as a shop with factory prices for the entire range of products.
Day 7 - Gruyer - 134 km
- the land of milk rivers and legends about good-natured giants. People who appeared in these places, by their vanity, forced the giants to leave. But the rivers of milk began to be used for making cheese "Gruyer" and chocolate.
To look outside. Do not go up!
Gruyère cheese house
To touch the mystery of making the famous Swiss cheese is best in the House of Cheese "Gruyer". Every day you can see how the head of the legendary cheese is born from the milk of Alpine cows. And to learn that the most difficult thing is to maintain the conditions for Gruyere's maturing for 5-10 months.
Giger's Cafe Museum - MUSEUM HR GIGER
Cafe Giger where you touch the fantastic world of the movie "Alien" and decide for yourself whether it is worth visiting the museum of Giger opposite the cafe.
Lausanne (after a rest at the hotel)
Place de la Riponne
The pearl of which is the Palace of Riumin (Palais de Rumine). Its construction was conducted in the 19th century, and the customer was the Russian family Bestuzhev-Ryumin. The palace was built in the Florentine Renaissance style at the end of the 19th century with the help of the Russian Bestuzhev-Ryumin family. The construction of the palace began in 1892 under the guidance of the architect Gaspar André, and was completed only in 1904. For a long time in the palace complex was the famous University of Lausanne. Today there is a library in the Riumin's Palace, as well as several museums: archeology, history, fine arts, geology and zoology.
Notre-Dame, which is deservedly included in the list of the most beautiful churches in Europe. This cathedral impresses tourists with carved seats, skilfully executed sculptures, which are located along the entire facade. The structure itself dates back to the 12th century, whereas the "rose" was made two centuries later. The main attraction of this church is the largest organ in Switzerland, the construction of which consists of 7 thousand pipes.
Day 8 - Wilderswil, Schloss Oberhofen - 158 km.
A very beautiful castle, remarkable for the fact that part of the building stands directly in the lake.
But, as it turned out, no less wonderful was the wonderful park, broken at the castle. It is difficult to convey in words all the beauty of this small park. The paths winding along the lake. Tunnels from plants. Green lawns. And of course flowers, flowers, flowers.
Today in this ancient Swiss castle there is a historical museum, a special decoration of which are not only numerous historical exhibits, but also almost original interiors of the premises. The museum was created as a branch of the Bern Historical Museum, but the popularity of tourists gave him the opportunity to become an independent institution in 2009
Wilderswil - The railway on Schinige Platte (Schynige Platte Bahn)
Views with Shinigeta Platte were appreciated by tourists of the 19th century. For them, in 1893, a seven-kilometer railroad was built from Wilderswil to a height of 1967 m. The advertisement promises "the romance of the railway and the magical world of the mountains."
In good weather, the views are 11 to 10-point scale. The Trinidad Jungfrau, Möhnch, Eiger, which appears in every valley under its own angle and usually only in part, is visible in all its glory, like the other mountains of the chain, as well as Menlichen, First, Schilthorn, the Grindelwald valleys and Lauterbrunnen with the Staubbach waterfall. When climbing, Interlaken and Lake Thun and a piece of Lake Brienz are clearly visible. Going up to the top (back and forth no less than an hour), you can take a look at Lake Brienz in all its glory.
Day 9 - Lauterbrunnen - Mürren (Wilderswil) - 20 km.
Funicular Standseilbahn Muеrren - Allmendhubel
Mürren himself is a small village, located on the ledge near the cliff. Three streets and several alleys, a sports center, a cable car to Schilthorn at one end, a railway to Gruchalp in another, a funicular to Allmendhubel in the middle. The best views are opened from above or closer to the railroad to Gryuchalp.
As if the village is not subject to time. There are no cars here and therefore very quiet. Wooden houses cling to a steep slope just before the sheer rock and sometimes the house consists of 4 floors, but the entrance to it is from the top floor, and all the other floors are somewhere down there. And of course, all balconies are covered with flowers.
Ring walk along the valley
Suitable for children, seniors and just those who do not want to strain themselves. Duration - half day
Stop by the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschapl.
On the way (a primer), parallel to the railway tracks along the pretty forest and meadows with cows to reach Mürren BLM. When the weather is fine, there are very interesting views to the Jungfrau (4158 m), Mönch (4107 m) and Eiger (3970 m).
Take a walk around the town, a snack in the cafe.
In Mürren - a trip to Allmendhubel (Standseilbahn), the route "The Road of Flowers"
The peculiarity of the 150-meter Trümmelbach waterfall in Switzerland is that it consists of ten cascades that are located directly inside the mountain. Of course, the Trummelbach waterfall just does not see it, it is completely inside. For 11 francs the funicular lifted us to the middle of the road, after which it is necessary to climb on foot.
Easy walk for a couple of hours.
From Lauterbrunnen BLM we stop by train to Wengen, the road goes through the forest through several tunnels in the rock. Between Wengwald (stop on demand) and Wengen from the windows to the right along the way good panoramas to Lauterbrunnen open. You can walk around Wengen (this is the zone "car free, that is, without vehicles, the air is very clean!), As well as the surrounding meadows and forests (cute houses, grazing bugs and sheep with bells on meadows, squirrels, and if lucky, and Roe deer in the forest), then kicked down the road to Lau.
Day 10 - Meiringen - 61 miles
Meiringen - Reichenbach Falls
The village of Meiringen, located near Brienz, is famous for the fact that there is a Reichenbach waterfall near it. Remembered? "Professor Moriarty and Sherlock Holmes died in the abyss of Reichenbach waterfall ..." That's it, this is the same waterfall.
Almost near the railway station, on one of the main streets of the village, you can see the monument to Sherlock Holmes, - he sits with a pipe on a bench, as if alive. Next to him you can take a picture for memory.
Day 11 - Bellinzona (287 km.) + 23km in each direction to Ascona
Schloss-Hotel - This castle on the lake!
The view of the capital of the canton of Ticino is formed by the three most well preserved medieval castles in Switzerland, all of them are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. In connection with its strategic position on the threshold of the pass through the Alps, Bellinzona has long been an apple of discord between the Milan aristocracy and Switzerland. History reflected on the urban landscape in the form of an abundance of powerful medieval defensive fortifications. Over the old city, built in the Lombard style, the Castelgrande castle rises (12-13 century, located on the western hill, now occupied with prison and arsenal of the canton), and to the east of it is Montebello (13-15 cc) - one of the most beautiful castles Switzerland. High in the mountains lost the third castle - Sasso Corbaro (15 in). All castles are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Dense development of the city gives it Italian charm. Above all buildings stands the church of St. Petra and Stefan, built in the 16th century. The former Augustinian monastery became the seat of the government.
A walk around the city (6.5 km)
Сhiesa di San Rocco
- inside you can admire the huge fresco of Saint Christopher and the smaller fresco with the Virgin Mary and Christ.
Сhiesa Collegiata dei SS Pietro e Stefano
Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Stefana (La Collegiata di Bellinzona,) was built on the site of the previous church in the 16th and 18th centuries. Since the construction lasted a long time, the facade was Renaissance, and the interior was baroque. It is executed in Renaissance style with baroque elements and lush frescoes inside.
The "Tre Castelli" are the symbol of Ticino's capital, and the form of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Montebello and Sasso Corbaro house museums relate the town's rich history.
The oldest castle of Bellinzona - Castelgrand, in translation from the Italian - a large fortress.
Castelgrande, also known as the castle of Saint-Michel or Burg Uri, the oldest of the three, built in the XIII century. Two towers - black and white - Torre Nera (28 m) and Tore Bianca (27 m) dominate the old town of Bellinzona. The Archaeological Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts are located in Castelgrande.
The complex was restored by the architect Aurelio Galfetti, who added an elevator (free, by the way) leading to the castle from the central square of Piazza del Sole and rebuilt one of the arsenals into an excellent restaurant.
Castelgrande - this 6th century castle towers right in the center of the city, on a huge rocky ledge. This is the largest fortification fortification of the city.
More attractive is the exposition of the decoration of the 15th century from the ceiling of an ancient aristocratic house from the center of Bellinzona. The paintings are variants from strange animals (medieval representations of how the camel looks very funny) to the humorous series "The World Upside Down". Among the latter is a wolf going after a man-drawn plow, and a sex-anxious woman who chases a chaste man.
- The fortress wall, going to the west of Castelgrande castle.
The surviving city walls (Murata), originally partitioning the entire valley to the river, were built in the 15th century, in 1515 a part of the wall was demolished by a flood, the Swiss added several more gaps. However, most of the wall is preserved. In width it is about 2 m, in height - up to 5 m, and in length it reached 600 m. Narrow stone stairs lead to the wall. The exit to the city wall from Castelgrande is not quite obvious - you must first climb the wall of the castle, walk along the wall of the square tower and then go to Murat
Castello di Montebello
Castello Montebello, also known as Schwyz or San Martino; And the highest castle of Corbaro Sasso, also called Unterwalden or Santa Barbara, are among the best-preserved medieval castles in Switzerland and are UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Castello di Montebello (Castello di Montebello) - the most beautiful of the three castles, located at an altitude of 90 m above the city. The entrance to the castle - from the side of the mountain and begins with a drawbridge, very well protected and the inner courtyard. There are still some useful facilities, apparently, for domestic purposes.
Castello di Sasso Corbaro
Castello Sasso Corbaro is located at an altitude of 462 meters. He was lined up last in record time in anticipation of enemy troops, in order to control the valley as much as possible. It seems to be a continuation of the rock on which it stands - strong and impregnable. Boulders on the slope of the rock glisten - I wonder what kind of stone? The castle is small, but very cozy, and the people in it are nothing - the aunt-ticketkeeper of the local museum and guide, lazily drinking beer in the shade of a cafe. And the view from here - awesome, you immediately forget that you crawled here in the heat, tired ... It's worth crawling here, it's worth it.
In the city
Old Town - in the area of Piazza Nosetto, Via del Teatro and Piazza del Governo, there are many beautiful merchant houses, stone arches, balconies with wrought iron rails and other symbols of a bygone era.
The cheese market is the autumn festival of fresh products, cheese and wine produced by Ticino farmers (October).
Day 12 Lucerne -85km
Schloss-Hotel - This castle on the lake!
The pearl among the Swiss cities is Lucerne. Located in the heart of Switzerland, this city is fanned with myths and legends. It was here that William Tell became famous for his exploits (it was here that the famous story of a boy and an apple was unfolding), and on the mountain Pilatus rising above the city, according to legend, the body of Pontius Pilate is buried. The very same Lucerne is a gingerbread town with painted houses, graceful bridges, the ancient wooden bridge Kappelbrücke, one of the symbols of Switzerland. Lucerne captivates the hearts of all the tourists who have ever visited this city.
The pedestrian route in Lucerne (4.5 km)
Luzern railway station
Most tourists come to Lucerne for just one day, so it's logical to start our route from the Railway Station. And there's a beautiful arch with a clock on the square of Europe in front of him.
The railway station of Lucerne is located on the left bank of the river Royce, about 800 m southwest of the church of St. Leodegar. After the fire in 1971, the lobby of the station was rebuilt. An original transparent hall with an interesting design of the roof was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. The station serves both regional trains and long-distance trains.
Center for Culture and Congresses
The second point of the route is the newest architectural landmark of the city. The center was built in 2000 and immediately became one of the must see for the guests of the city. Today, here is the Lucerne Art Museum, a concert hall, exhibitions and various congresses. The building was designed by the French architect Jean Nouvel. His most famous projects are the Institute of the Arab World in Paris, the Guggenheim Museum in Tokyo, the Torre Agbar tower in Barcelona.
Water Tower and Kappelbrücke Bridge
The next point is the oldest wooden bridge in Europe, Kappelbrücke and the "Water Tower", which rises right there in the middle of the bridge, growing right out of the water in its original form. You will walk here, pay attention to the roof of the bridge. Under it in the entire 170-meter length there are 112 wooden triangular paintings by Henry Wagmann that are dedicated to the history and mythology of Switzerland. It is worth knowing that in 1993 the bridge was badly damaged by the fire, in which more than 70 paintings were destroyed. All of them were restored and returned to their places.
The name comes from the chapel - the church at the river's edge, on the one side of the bridge. The bridge was built in 1333 and is the oldest wooden bridge in Europe.
The octagonal tower (Wasserturm) of the bridge remained intact. At one time, she had served both as an arsenal and as a prison.
Chapel of St. Peter
The chapel is located on the very spot where once stood the very first, built in the XII century, the city's kirche. The church was rebuilt many times, but it is known that its first stone was laid in 1178. The uncomplicated architecture of the building can be misleading, and it seems that inside is also not interesting, as well as outside. Be sure to go inside: there is a wooden crucifix of the XIV century - a very rare thing.
Church of St. Ledegar
The next iconic landmark of the city is Hofkirche, or the Collegiate Church of St. Leodegar, is named after the patron saint of Lucerne and is the most important in the city. Previously, this place was a monastery, and the modern building of the church was built in the era of Gothic and Renaissance.
In the interior of the cathedral are forged elements, wood carvings, as well as the famous organ of 1640 with its 4950 tubes. In summer you can listen to organ concerts here.
Panorama of Bourbaki
The round pavilion was built specifically to accommodate a panorama canvas depicting the retreat of French troops under the command of General Charles Bourbaki. During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871. Their Eastern army intended to operate in the rear of the Germans, but was defeated. The French were forced in early February 1871 to retreat to the Swiss territory, on the border of which they were disarmed.
The picture-panorama is executed so skillfully that the impression of a three-dimensionality
The Mill Bridge
Sproierbrücke ("mill") - the second "old" wooden bridge.
A little further than Kappelbrücke, a little less, a little darker and a little younger. The bridge was built in 1408, in 1568 was added a small chapel in honor of the Virgin Mary. The paintings were created in the 17th century by artist Kaspar Meglinger and everyone has a single motif - "The Dance of Death." This is an allegorical plot of the Middle Ages, symbolizing the death and the stature of human existence. The image of death is personalized as a skeleton, it can be found as one of the characters in all the pictures. This is a figurative history of the fall of man and a picture of a terrible judgment awaiting at the end of the life of every sinner.
The paintings are supplemented by Mueller's poems.
From the middle of the Mill Bridge there is a good view of the monumental Jesuit church. Once it was a middle school and a place of pastoral activity of the Jesuits.
The Jesuits themselves arrived in Lucerne in 1574, and in 1576 they opened their own school here. By the middle of the next century, the number of students has been increasing inconsistently, reaching 300-400 students for a town with a population of less than 4,000. So on the feast of St. Francis Xavier (patron saint of Lucerne) on Dec. 3, 1666, the first stone of the future church is laid, and 11 years later, on August 29, 1677, a new temple consecrated the papal nuncio Edoardo Cibo.
It was the first baroque church in Switzerland. Inside, the church is richly decorated in white and gold tones, and the ceiling is decorated with paintings made in the middle of the 18th century and dedicated to the Holy. Francis Xavier, whose statue also adorns the facade of the church. The painting was made by Lugansk artists Toricelli. All the same saint is depicted in the altar composition, kneeling before the Virgin Mary.
It is also worth paying attention to the magnificent organ. Organ concerts are held here often enough.
The final point of the route is the Weinmarkt square, where the fountain, built in the 15th century, is located. This is a charming beautiful square. Its architectural style is late Gothic, and depicted on it wars and Saint Mauritius - patron of the city. At this point, life boiled before: Easter games were held here. At one time here, the mysteries of the Brotherhood of Thorns Wreath were held. Today there are street cafes on the square, where tourists and townsfolk rest.
Among the beautiful painted buildings of the square is worth paying attention to Müllersche Apotheke. This pharmacy exists here since 1530.
Day 13- Zurich- 91 km
Walking along Zurich (2.5 km)
Take a deep breath in the old quarters of Zurich. Narrow, winding streets, small houses, coffee houses, antique and book shops, picturesque steps leading to the upper floors of buildings - this part of the city reminds of medieval Europe. Go along the pedestrian street straight, until you reach the street Spiegelgasse on the left in the direction of traffic. The first house on her left is the "Voltaire Cabaret".
Lenin's House Spiegelgasse 16, 8001 Zurich
In this house he used party money to rent a room of V.I. Lenin. But no one is allowed inside the house. Therefore, go back to the "Voltaire Cabaret", take two steps to the left to Ankengasse street and along it go to the quay. Going to the river, turn right to the Town Hall building, which seems to grow out of the water.
Cabaret Voltaire Spiegelgasse 1, 8001 Zürich
It is believed that this institution serves almost the best beer in the city. In general, this direction was born in art as Dada. And although this movement officially ceased to exist 90 years ago, the idea of art, which denies beauty and meaning, still stirs the minds and raises questions. Today one can only speculate about what thoughts were born here in Vladimir Ilyich. After all, he lived next door to a tavern and was a regular at absurdist representations of the Dadaists. Go along the Spiegelgasse a little forward, cross a small square with a fountain. Soon, on the right you will see a memorial tablet on the House of Lenin.
Having inspected the strict building of the Town Hall, pay attention to the houses opposite. Since the Town Hall in the XIII-XIV centuries adopted not only political, but also economic decisions, various guilds sought to build their offices alongside it. In particular, a house of white stone with striped blue-and-white shutters and a single bay window in the XIV century belonged to the guild of wine and food merchants. Later it became the property of salt traders. Its name in German sounds like this: Zunfthaus zur Haue, which in translation means the House of the guild in the hatchet (meaning the hatchet that was used in the extraction of salt). From the second half of the 16th century, he was owned by the Mayor of Zurich Salomon Hirzel, which is reminiscent of a plaque and sculpture of a deer on the roof of the house. The next house of gray stone with an arcade on the first floor is called Haus zum Rüden.
Hunting dog house
Haus zum Rüden Limmatquai 42 CH-8001 Zürich
The "Haus zum Rüden" house today is noteworthy for the fact that the restaurant "Gothic room" is located in it. And in the XIV century in this very room on the second floor the nobles regularly gathered, arguing about what tasks should be solved first of all for the development of the city. This building is completed by an ensemble of guild houses, before which in the old days the fish market was located. Continue along the promenade to the Grossmunster Cathedral, which will soon appear to the left.
Grossmünster Off Grossmünsterplatz
Grossmünster, or the Great Cathedral, is a symbol of the city. In one of its towers there is an observation deck with which a good view of Zurich opens. The pointed Gothic spiers that adorned the two towers of the temple in ancient times were destroyed during a fire and replaced with round domes in the 18th century. After inspecting the cathedral, return to the embankment and take a couple of steps to Wasserkirche, which is located directly on the river bank.
Church of Wasserkirche
Wasserkirche Limmatquai 31
On the site of this church in Roman times, Felix and Regula were executed - brother and sister, who accepted death for the Christian faith. The temple that existed here since the 10th century was rebuilt many times. And in 1524 it was closed. The premises were used for a hundred years as a storehouse for agricultural needs. 1634 brought a new role to the church: it opened the first public library in Zurich. But at the beginning of the 20th century, all the books were taken from here, the building was restored, and in 1942 the church became operational. A building attached to the church - Helmhaus - is an exhibition hall. Walk along the church and pay attention to the monument to Ulrich Zwingli, standing right behind her. Thanks to this churchman and reformer, Swiss priests were freed from the vow of celibacy, and the masses were allowed to be held in German instead of Latin.
Church of Fraumunster - go inside
Fraumünster Fraumünster strasse, 25 Münsterhof
The main value of this church is the stained-glass windows of the work of Marc Chagall. The master made them in 1970 on the order of an anonymous patron of art. Each stained glass is made in a certain color scheme. To look at them is a complete pleasure. And in 853 this place was famous for the fact that King Ludwig of Germany founded here a monastery for his daughters - Hildegard and Bertha. After examining the stained glass windows, go out to the Münsterhof square. During the early Middle Ages it was a courtyard in the abbey. When it ceased to exist, the courtyard became the largest urban area. In the middle of the XVII century, it housed a pig market. Its present appearance acquired the area during the reconstruction in 1938. Go through the square and head straight for St. Peter's Cathedral.
Confiserie Sprüngli Bahnhofstrasse 21
The building in which the café is located is at the corner of Bahnhofstrasse and the Paradeplatz square. It houses the headquarters of UBS and Credit Suisse - the oldest Swiss banks. Until 1642 there was a market in place of Paradeplatz, where they sold cattle, but when the authorities decided to build a new defensive wall, these lands were attached to the city. At first the square was named "New Market", and in the 19th century it was given the current name. From the square goes Poststrasse. Head over it to the church of Fraumunster.
Saint Paul's Cathedral
Kirche St. PeterIn Gassen 10
It is believed that the largest clock tower in Europe is located on this church. The present building of the church dates back to the 18th century, although this place is namolennoe: the first church here was built in 1000. In the church, the first independent mayor of Zurich, Rudolf Brun, was buried. The former head of the guilds of urban artisans, he became the master of the city in 1336. After leaving the church, go straight on Strehlgasse, and then on Pfalzgasse in order to be in the garden of Lindenhof.
Lindenhof Fortunagasse 16, 8001 Zurich
Silence and peace surround all those who climbed the mountain and found themselves on this hill with old lindens. From here it is convenient to examine the houses of the guilds and the Grossmünster Cathedral on the opposite bank of the Limmat River. Limes from ancient Germans were considered "trees of justice", and therefore it was at this place that the trials that the king initiated began. After relaxing in the park, you can go through Fortunagasse and Kuttelgasse to Bahnhofstrasse.
Bahnhofstrasse Bahnhofstrasse 69, 8001 Zurich
On one and a half kilometers of this street there are boutiques with Swiss watches and shops with collections of clothes of the most different brands. Now it seems almost incredible that in ancient times this street was called the Froggy moat and was an integral part of the defensive moat around the city. This fell asleep in the second half of the XIX century. In its place appeared a wide street, gradually becoming one of the most expensive in the world. Take the Bahnhofstrasse to the railway station building. If you still have time, then we recommend going to the other side of the river, as at the very beginning of the walk, and to be on the Central Square. Here in one of the first buildings facing the Limmat River, there is a Polybahn station.
Day 14 - Pilatus - 96 km
Swiss Pass gives a 50% discount on mountain trains, we had to pay 34 francs per adult.
The mountain can be reached from Lucerne in the gondola lift and cable car, as well as from Alpnastad by the world's steepest railway branch with a gear transmission. Thus, it is possible to arrange an excellent circular route, including sailing on a wheeled steamer, a ride by a cog railway, riding a cable car and a bus.
Along with the lake, Mount Pilatus is present on almost all Lucerne postcards.
The lord of the weather, the dragon's nest, the house of the giants or the Obelisk of the ruler of these places is the most famous mountain of Lucerne, Pilatus is one of the legendary places in central Switzerland. And one of the most beautiful. On a clear day, a view of 73 Alpine peaks opens from the mountain.
Day 15 - Rapperswil 96 km
Rapperswill - Walk around the city (1 km)
The Rapperswil Castle is located in the small town of Rapperswil in the southwest of the canton of St. Gallen, about 25 km southeast of Zurich. It is located on a small cape, outstanding in Lake Zurich, so it is surrounded on three sides by water, which created an excellent natural protection. The castle dominates the historical center of Rapperswil behind it.
Monastery of Capuchins
This small monastery next to the castle was founded in 1606 as a Catholic opposition to the reformist center in Zurich. The building of the monastery belongs to the city, and not to monks. The monastery still works.
At the monastery there is a garden of roses open for visiting.
Wooden bridge / Holzsteg / Heilighüsli
Zurich Lake was on the way of pilgrims who also come to Rapperswil on the way to Santiago de Compostela (in Spain). Not very safe, a winding wooden bridge with poorly fixed boards helped them to overcome the lake.
From the 19th century, in the narrowest part of Lake Zurich, between Rapperswill and Hurden, a dam was built for pedestrians. However, the wooden bridge survived. In 2001, it was replaced by a new one, but so far the 841-meter bridge is the longest wooden bridge in Switzerland.
Two flowers of roses adorn the coat of arms of the city of Rapperswil. From June to October, guests of the city can enjoy the beauty of more than 600 varieties of roses in public rosaries: the Capuchin monastery, the blinds and invalid rozery in Schanz, and other public institutions.